Periodontal (Gum) Disease Treatment – Plano, TX
Keeping Your Gums Healthy
and Your Teeth Safe
Poor brushing and flossing habits don’t just affect your teeth; they can also give oral bacteria a chance to infect your gums. Periodontal disease (also known as gum disease) might seem relatively harmless early on, but if it reaches the advanced stage of periodontitis, you could be in serious danger of tooth loss, and you could even be at risk for systemic health problems such as heart disease. Concerned about your gum health? Call us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kung.
Why Choose Vitality Dental for Periodontal (Gum) Disease Treatment?
- We Aim to Make Each Appointment Enjoyable
- Anxiety-Free Deep Cleaning Procedures
Dentist and Team
Scaling & Root Planing
Pockets tend to form between your teeth and gums as gum disease progresses. In order to remove bacteria from these pockets and ensure that your mouth has a chance to heal, we can perform a deep cleaning. The first step is scaling, which is where we remove plaque and tartar from your teeth as well as the space beneath the gum line. We can then perform root scaling, which simply means smoothing out the rough surfaces of the root so that bacteria can’t easily reattach themselves later.
Preventing Gum Disease
While we can help you control your gum disease, it’s generally best to avoid it altogether. To prevent gum disease, you should:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day to remove food debris and plaque trapped in your mouth.
- Floss daily to clean the areas between your teeth.
- Swish with mouthwash to reduce the level of plaque in your mouth.
- Be aware of risk factors for gum disease such as age and tobacco use.